Monday, November 7, 2011

Mothering

I now am starting to understand the quote "Being a mom is like being pecked to death by a duck." It really is so hard and some days just seem like they will never end. Which is why I am so much more appreciative of the really good days. Like today...

Last night I got Jared down by 9:30 pm and he slept until 2:30 am. I fed him and he slept again until 5:15. I told him it was NOT time to get up yet and plugged the binky back in a time or two until he went back to sleep. The little angel slept another hour and a little before he got up, my other little angel woke up about 5:45. He told me he had to go potty so I took him and quickly turned the lights back off. Luckily it was still dark so I convinced him that it was definitely still night time and he could sleep a little longer. He slept another half hour and I fed Jared around 6:15.

We got up for the day and I got Alex a lunch and some breakfast before dropping him off at school. We then drove right over to Walmart for some grocery shopping. (side note: if you are ever so lucky to shop at Walmart, you know that once you get past about 9:00 am that place is a mad house! So it is a BLESSING to be able to make it there before the rush floods in. Going early also ensures me a nice parking spot really close to the front doors so that me and my two kids don't have to walk a mile to get inside.) Anyways... Kyle was awesome and actually likes to sit in the cart so I don't have to worry about chasing after him the whole time. Jared slept the whole time and I got everything I needed, in addition to some yummy ingredients for caramel apples, which I plan to make this week with my awesome friend!

Once at home, I quickly put everything away and fed Jared again. Kyle was awesome and kept himself busy and even went potty by himself while I couldn't help him. We played with Jared for a while and put him down for a nap. (side note: Jared is good sleeper... at night. During the day... well, let's just say it's hit and miss. I almost cried today when I put my cutie down and it only took two times of plugging the binky back in before he was out! Tender mercy to the rescue!) I was able to spend some good quality time with my cute Kyle for an hour or so before making some lunch.

Now, if you read my recent post on Kyle, you would know that naps have not been a common thing around here these days. Well, after lunch I took Kyle upstairs and kinda distracted him from the ultimate goal of a nap, and asked him if he had to go potty, if he wanted to read a book, etc.. Then I sang a song and tucked him in and without a complaint he was out! Jared then woke up for another feeding, PERFECT timing, and now he is down for another nap (which he went down for very easily) which means they are now BOTH taking naps at the same time! A rare combination I assure you.

So why am I not taking a nap too? Well, I am absolutely in favor of doing so, except I've learned that some days, more valuable than taking a nap is taking the time to do what I want to do rather than what Kyle or Jared wants to do. So here I am doing what I want to do, which is recognizing what a fabulous day I've been having and recording it for myself so I can always look back and realize that the good days are sometimes not in how much I've done, but in how much I didn't do. I didn't get the house clean, the dishes are still in the sink, my laundry is sitting in baskets, and I didn't visit any friends. But I spent some awesome time with my big boy Kyle and helped him feel my love for him. I want him to know that he means a lot to me and that he will never be replaced. I got some time to play and work with Jared so I could see some smiles and get him to sleep peacefully.

The other night, I was putting Kyle to bed and he requested the same song that he requests every night. I love to see the Temple. After singing it for the bajillionth time, he put his hands on my face and looked me in the eyes and said "Thank you! I lub you Momma." For one moment everything else seemed to stand still. It was like in the movies when the music plays and nothing else matters. It honestly was like time stood still and my heart melted and I was nearly in tears. Then time picked up again and I went about my nightly ritual as a happy mommy. I love my kids!

1 comment:

Heather Thorup said...

Motherhood is rough isn't it? I feel so bored and unfulfilled sometimes, but when they smile at you or do something sweet it just melts your heart. You are such a good Mother! And what cute boys you have.