Friday, July 27, 2012

Dr. Swan, D.O.

I am so proud of Alex and how far he has come with everything in medical school and we are so excited to have started our 3rd year! I can't believe we are half way done! This year will go pretty fast too I'm sure since it is only in 4 week increments. First he's been on an internal medicine (hospitalist) rotation. Next he'll do radiology, then anesthesiology, and then family medicine. He also does OB/Gyn, NICU and pediatrics, psychiatry, rural family medicine, another internal medicine, and then he gets to choose two of his own. He will probably do ER and ENT.

So far it's been alright. Some days have been tough, but overall it is so nice to not have the hours and hours of studying and lectures to sit through. He seems so much happier and he gets to see some exciting things rather than reading about them. It is kinda sad to hear some of the stories though, for many different reasons. Some because people are in so much pain, some because people die, and a LOT because people make stupid decisions and then abuse the health care system. One reason Alex would like to try Oncology (cancer doctor) is because cancer patients are not usually there to abuse the system. They are there to really try to get better.

So here he is... getting ready for another day at the hospital. White Coat... check! Stethescope... check! He gets to "round" on his own patients in the morning before the doctors even meet up with him, which is cool. Even if it's just for practice. Sometimes he does feel like he's wasting the patient's time since he's not a real doctor and can't give any diagnosis yet, but then again... what else are they going to do, right? They're definitely not going anywhere! :)

 Like I said Alex, I am so proud of you and I hope I can continue to be the helpful and supportive wife you always hoped for. I love you! Good luck this year! :)


1 comment:

Haylee said...

Sarah! I missed your birthday! I'm so sorry!! I switched phones like 3 times in the past year and don't have your number anymore. :( Hope your day was great, and I WAS thinking of you on your birthday! Hope all is well!