So I thought it would be kinda fun to document what my pregnancy has been like, now that I am in my last month. So this is just kind of a break down of the major events and things I felt and went through. The good and the bad...
So it's been pretty crazy. Just like a mission, as a whole, pregnancy is such a good experience. Not every day is painful and awful, but it doesn't always feel like you're living a miracle either.
For the first couple weeks I was basically just tired and exhausted all the time. I also went to the bathroom about every hour. Other than that, it was easy to forget I was even pregnant while other things like school and work took over. A little bit later I started having morning sickness... only it lasted ALL day! At first it was some of the hardest days I've been through because I didn't know how to not feel sick. I was miserable until I figured out a few things to settle my stomach and make it easier to deal with. I soon realized that it was just going to be that way and missing school and work every day was not an option. Life had to go on.
And so it did, and slowly and subtly I felt normal again and could go through each day without throwing up. Although it lasted about two months, the next two months were so good it seemed like the sickness was a small memory rather than such a long event. I liked being pregnant for the next few months! I often craved different foods such as Arby's curly fries, ice cream, donuts, popsicles, and chicken nuggets. However, I never craved anything until I saw it, so Alex had to put blinders on me at times when we went grocery shopping. The only thing I didn't like was anything with a burned taste. I took the crust off my bread and rarely ate toast. I started feeling my baby move at about 17 or 18 weeks. Not very often and sometimes it was hard to tell if it was really him, but it slowly got stronger and more frequent until it was finally obvious. Although no one else could feel it, I felt very close to my baby at that time. Still not showing, I was often jealous of other pregnant women I saw with their cute bellies! I wanted one too. :)
So my wish came true! At about 4 months along, I started showing and at about 5 months (while sitting at the laundromat) Alex felt his kick for the first time! What an amazing thing that was. It was like a bond that we shared with him. It was a special day. :) Although I was very excited to be showing off my baby, I became very worried because I am both a stomach sleeper AND a back sleeper. I was OK on my back for a while, but I woke up many times on my stomach and in horror thinking I was squishing my baby! I quickly got out of that habit and learned to sleep on my sides the whole night. It hasn't made nights very comfortable, but at least I know my baby is Ok.
While my stomach grew, my baby seemed to be growing twice as fast. As big as my tummy seemed, it never seemed to be big enough as the months went by. Although I was not sick, I was pretty uncomfortable some weeks as my stomach tried to stretch out big enough for the baby to have room. I often described it as feeling very crowded. :) Although this was hard some days, I found that the bigger he got, the easier it was to feel him and at one point, SEE him move. It became one of my favorite things during that time, to lay on my side and watch my tummy move. While it was crazy and kind of surreal, it was an amazing feeling and nothing was quite like seeing him move and imagining him outside, moving around. I would also try listening for his heart beat with my stethescope at home. It was truly like watching a miracle happen when i thought of the tiny baby that was preparing to come and be a part of my new family with Alex.
At about 7 months he found his way into my ribs. Recently, my doctor said that his head is down and his feet are right up in my ribs. It's not the most pleasant feeling to get a quick jab right under my diaphragm, so I have often fought with him, trying to push his feet away. I must admit though, he is quite strong and stubborn and it's kinda cute that he pushes back to try and stay in his "favorite" position.
Lately in these last months, it's just been a matter of waiting. I have felt this big since about 6 or 7 months and he has been in pretty much the same position since then. I'm down to my weekly visits to the doctor and have had many "braxton-hicks" contractions. I get pretty excited knowing my body is getting ready to have this baby. Recently I have even felt him move down a couple times, which is great to have a little relief from my ribs, even in the smallest measure of time. But like I said, it's just a waiting game while we get ready for him to arrive and get excited to spend the summer with him, as well as the rest of eternity. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment