Thursday, July 9, 2009

What???

"What?" seems to be the most common word I say to Kyle lately. He's crying more lately and I have a feeling it has a lot to do with the amount of time he's getting held. Being the first grandchild on my side and a new baby, he's got a lot of attention since birth. He's really enjoyed it all and loves being held and snuggled up, as well as given plenty of attention while playing. There's really nothing wrong with that I guess, but I also don't get anything done. I think it will get better once he realizes that the extremeties swinging around his head are his arms and that he can use his hands to grasp and hold things. He gets so bored when he's by himself. Even with us in the same room. He also doesn't want to sleep on his own. He falls asleep in our arms and nothing can wake him up, but as soon as he's in his crib he screams. It's pretty frustrating. I've found that sometimes I can trick him by putting him in his strap-on carrying thing and then when he falls asleep I can lay him on the bed and detach it from me and leave him in the thing. Even that is starting to fail though. So even though he sleeps all night, it's very frustrating to have an ornery boy that won't take naps all day. Help!! If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.
What an attention deprived child! Totally neglected! :)

Oh good! He's asleep! This is step one...

Step two... He used to not know the difference.

3 comments:

Caitlin said...

I've never had a kid so I'm not an expert. But your first kid is always going to be like this, no matter what stage of life he's in. That's the nature of being the first kid in the family!! (I can say that, cause I am one).

I do think it's a bit weird that he doesn't nap all day. My advice from watching friends and family with their kids, is to just lay him in his crib and let him scream for awhile. YOU are the parent and need to set boundaries and whatnot. Once he realizes that he won't get the desired result (picked up, attention, held, etc.), he'll calm down.

So anyway, take it or leave it, that's just my two cents!

Katie Abernethy said...

I'm learning that a lot of babies struggle with naps. It sounds counter-intuitive (sp?) right? You'd think they would fall asleep naturally if they're tired. But it is a learned skill to be able to do it by themselves. Hunter got nighttime sleep down way before naps. It's so hard to let a little baby cry! (When they're older I don't feel as bad!) I rocked Hunter to sleep for a while and would try the transfer thing. I recommend this to everyone cuz it worked for me-Babywise. It is a book series on babies and sleep. I also frequent a babywise blog:
http://babywisemom.blogspot.com/
It gets easier as they get older, as far as the sleeping goes, I mean! Good luck!
P.S. Darn it you look great for just having a baby!

Boyers said...

The only thing that helped McKenlie was to be swaddled. It SAVED my life. You can't spoil a baby until they are 4-6 months old so i just held McKenlie i know i am probably a bad mom but she grew out of needing to be held by three months and wanted to sleep in her crib on her own.

She also loved her swing to sleep in. she slept there until she was 2 months old because the montion calmed her down. We got one that moved side to side, more like how you rock your own baby (it was way expensive so if you would like to borrow it you can).

But really my main advice is swaddling because it helps so they don't get over stimulated which causes them to cry more!! I know it is so exhausting and if you need ot talk call me cause McKenlie was a million times harder than i expected. i think we tried it all so i can give you more ideas! love ya!