This last week was quite the adventure. Alex had a medical school interview at Rocky Vista University in Parker, Colorado. We traveled all day from 6:30 am til about 6:00 pm on Tuesday. We could have gotten there a lot sooner had Kyle not needed to take so many stops to eat and stretch his legs! But I can't complain. He actually did a really good job and was very patient with us and the whole driving thing. So we got to Parker, looked around at the school, then drove to Colorado Springs where we stayed with the McConkies. They were very kind to let us stay with them to keep costs down.
So the next morning, we left early and I dropped Alex off at the school, leaving me alone with Kyle in the middle of Colorado. And contrary to popular belief, being born somewhere does not make it any easier to navigate once you go back. Luckily we have a GPS and I was able to find a gas station to start out my day. Next I decided to drive around Parker and see if it was going to be a place that I could live. Kyle started getting fussy so I pulled into some random parking lot of a tanning place that looked closed down. I played with Kyle a little, fed him, changed his diaper, and thought it was a good time to get going as I had made an appointment to meet with a girl the McConkies knew (whose husband is in medical school). I went to turn on the car.....and my battery was DEAD! I had left the lights on!! This has not happened to me before, but I forgot because although it was raining the whole time, it was still pretty light outside so I couldn't tell they were still on. So there I was in the middle of a state that was NOT home, with no husband to tell me it was ok. In fact there was no husband around to even tell me what I should do! I was stuck and with no one but a screaming baby to comfort me. I cried for just a minute or two (cuz I was scared), said a prayer, then I was really brave (at least I thought I was brave) and I called the lady I was meeting with and had her come and jump my car. It took a while to explain my where abouts (as I didn't really know where I was about) but she found me and after jumping my car, I followed her to her house. It was a miracle! And I was very proud of myself for handling it so well. The last time I got lost in Utah, I was a wreck and I called Alex and had him explain my way back while I bawled and tried to convince him that I should never drive again. Me and getting lost do NOT go well together. So for me to be lost in Colorado and alone with a dead car, and handle myself well enough to find a way out of it is pretty good.
I talked with this girl for a good hour or so when Alex called and said that I was invited to see the tour of the school with them. So after the tour, Alex and I drove around some neighborhoods to look at what was available and we stopped in one neighborhood to call some apartment complexes about rent prices. After deciding we would have to look elsewhere, Alex went to turn on the car and to our surprise... it was DEAD! Twice in one day! You would think we could get it right. So Alex got outside (in the rain, and in his suit he wore to interviews) and pushed the car while I tried to manually start the car. It didn't work so we sat in the car in silence for a couple minutes while we thought of what else to do. Nothing was coming to mind, so I suggested calling the girl who helped me last time. I knew it was going to be humiliating for the both of us and she had already came to my rescue once, but I didn't know what else to do. So I called her and explained where we were, and to our surprise, we were exactly one block away from her house! Can it get any more like a miracle? She jumped the car but brought her husband this time, so Alex was able to talk with him a little about med school. We were amazingly blessed on this trip and I cannot think that God was not watching us during the whole thing. We made it there and back with no car trouble (and knowing our car, that's a miracle in and of itself) and we made a couple friends right in Parker. I know that God is aware of us and he provided a way for us to make friends and allow us to rely on others, which is exactly what we'll have to do if we move out of state. I am so grateful for those experiences (as scary as they were) because they helped me in more ways than I thought I needed.
1 comment:
That is awesome story! The Lord does really watch over people and blesses them. Good luck Alex with all your interviews!
Post a Comment