Alex is at this moment, at his second medical school interview. Henderson, Nevada! It's a school called Touro Nevada University. For those of you who don't know, the only way you can tell that you have crossed the line between Las Vegas and Henderson is the difference in zip codes. I have been through MAJOR culture shock the last two days! We pulled into Mesquite and all around me were a million billboards that said "Casino-Hotel...Exit 238" and "$2 Craps" and other such things that were sometimes quite provocative. Growing up in Utah, the billboards I am used to seeing is "DearElder.com" and "LDS Hospital" and "Bear River Mutual-where values count".
We arrived at our hotel and we had to walk through a casino to get to the registration desk. We also walked through the same casino to get some dinner. Both times we walked right through clouds of cigarette smoke! Back home if someone was smoking, it was outside a building, away from people walking in and out. I couldn't believe they allow smoking INSIDE a building! A bowling alley, a bar, and a Hooters were all located right in our hotel. To tell you the truth, I have never felt so naive in my life! Nonetheless, Alex is still taking this school into consideration. He tells me he is positive there are MANY LDS families in Las Vegas and Henderson. So we ended up seeing an old missionary companion Alex had that actually lives in Las Vegas. It calmed my nerves to be with at least one other LDS member besides my own husband. The family told us how there really is a lot of family stuff to do around Nevada, it's just not as open and obvious as Utah. I still don't know how comfortable I would be living in Nevada... but I can tell you one thing... I sure wouldn't mind having a big palm tree or two right in my own yard. :)
P.S. I don't want to sound like I would be making Alex's decision in where he would go for medical school, although I do have a little say. I fully support Alex in his decisions, and if it were right and he really wanted it, I would even live in the state that is most famously known as the gambling state.
P.P.S. Alex has been officially... ACCEPTED into the Rocky Vista Medical School in Parker, Colorado!! :) Still more interview to go...
4 comments:
Congrats on the acceptance! That's got to be a nice feeling. Congrats!
I second that! That's such a relief that even though he's still got more interviews, he's got one acceptance.
Nevada is a ton different than Utah. But it'll give you a chance to really learn the principal to live IN the world, but not OF it. Also, you can find all those same things in Nevada here in Utah. No matter where you live there will be temptation and the choice to decide between good and bad. I know a few people that grew up in Henderson and absolutely love it there. So if that's where the Lord wants you, I'm sure you'll love it too!
What an exciting time! I have a ton of family in Henderson/Las Vegas that absolute love it! And they are active! Good luck in choosing a school!
That's awesome that he was accepted into one school already. Congrats!!! Good luck with all the many more interviews!
Post a Comment