I have a personal goal this year to run in the Truman Elementary 5K in April. But not only to participate, but to run the whole time! My two youngest siblings go to this elementary now, and I went there, along with my other siblings, and they have been begging me (along with my mom) to help the school and run the 5K. So I have taken up this challenge although I have NEVER liked running. After I had Kyle it took me a long time to get active again. I walked in the morning with Alex and pushed Kyle in a stroller, but that's all I could do for a while. My body had to do a lot of adjusting. Well, after months of keeping at it and slowing getting to the point where I could jog and then run for short periods of time, I am now running a mile almost every day! I feel so good about myself. I feel like there are so many benefits to running no matter how hard it is and how tired I feel during my run. I make mental goals for myself as I run such as wanting to run for 10 minutes. Then when I get to 10 minutes I tell myself I can go farther. Today my goal was 15 minutes. I was so happy I got to that point that I kept running. Being on a treadmill does help out because I have to push a button to stop, but it would have been much easier to just push the button. Anyway, I ran 17 min! It may not sound like a lot to those that run a lot and for much longer, but I really worked myself today. In doing so I noticed a few things that I've been told about all my life and knew would happen but it was so great to experience!
1. I ate less for breakfast and wanted to eat something more healthy. My body didn't want to eat something sugary or fatty. Grape nuts, yogurt, milk and toast was on the menu!
2. I was more flexible. As I stretched after my run, my muscles had been really warmed up and I was able to stretch farther and longer.
3. After just 2 weeks of doing this I have lost 1/2 a pound! Yay for losing weight! ha ha. It's not much but I'm really just interested in staying fit.
4. I feel healthy! My body is not as tired. I have more energy to take care of Kyle and get things done.
I know I probably sound like one of those commercials that try to get you to buy their exercise equipment or some diet drink, but I'm just excited for my own personal progression. I HATE running and the last time I ran a 5K I hadn't really trained and was just about dying by the end, taking a grand total of 35 minutes to do it walking and running. I envied those who sped past us and had amazing calf muscles. I'm not quite there yet, but I am working toward a goal. Alex is into running too and eventually wants to run a triathalon. I would like to do it with him, and it really helps me stay motivated to look back and see that I am making progress! :)
3 comments:
That's so awesome dear. Congratulations! I'm super jealous. I'm way un-active, if you will, right now and I miss being in shape. 17 minutes is AWESOME so don't feel like you're not as good as some people because that's a lot better than a lot of people ;) I would like to run a half marathon, or at least a 5k this year, so we'll see what happens :)
P.S. Kyle is so FETCHING cute. Good work :)
Sarah that is great!! Really so good for you and life is all about making your own personal goals and records and not comparing yourself to others. It sounds like you will do great in the 5K run with all the training you have already started. Keep it up!!
You are doing great! I wished we lived closer and could run together. I need some serious motivation... I want to do it, but I just don't. And plus I guess because I would have to go outside and I'm not a fan of the cold/snowy weather.
What kind of treadmill do you have? Where did you get it? We've been looking into getting one, but haven't found one yet.
Post a Comment