Friday, August 6, 2010

New Home on my Birthday!

So I thought I'd quickly update our long trip to Missouri and how things have been since we got here. First of all I want to say that God does listen to and answer our prayers! The whole time we drove I prayed that we would get there safely and that Alex would be able to find us plenty of places to park our train of a moving van with our car attached to get gas, food and somewhere to sleep for the night. We definitely did just fine. Kyle had a hard time the first few hours, but the second day he did awesome! We drove 4 full hours without stopping! Alex didn't fall asleep at the wheel and it went well, up until we got 1/2 hour away. Then Alex took a right off the freeway when he should have taken a left, so we drove the WRONG direction for 1/2 an hour til we noticed and turned around. Then we had to drive that 1/2 hour back, plus the 1/2 hour to get there the rest of the way. I wasn't happy. But we made it.

The whole time we drove that last stretch, I was praying with all my might that people would be there to help out with our unpacking. I wouldn't be so nervous, except for that we had a PIANO to unpack! And believe me, that is not a 2 man/woman job. We pulled up to our street and went to our duplex, and it was locked. We walked around to the back and luckily the back door was open, but no keys. So we walked to the front to start up our unpacking, and out of nowhere people just started coming out of their houses and introducing themselves and asking if they could help. By the end we had 4 or 5 guys and their wives helping out and we got the piano in without a scratch! Boy, I was thanking my Heavenly Father every minute of that evening! He really delivered.

That night was not a good night though. I was tired and stressed about our big mess of boxes to unpack, and SOO paranoid about the bugs! All that stuff mixed with being emotional was not a good mix for Alex. He was so awesome to put up with me. I went downstairs where it was cooler and glanced out the window to find a frog, yes a tree frog, stuck to our window! Scared me half to death, and he showed up again last night. We just might have ourselves a nightly friend now. :) Last night I also looked out our kitchen window to find a GIANT bug thing that looked a lot like a cocroach with big giant wings. It was gross to say the least. I swear it was at least 2-3 inches long. I've also heard that rabbits run wild around here too. Anyway, I'm just glad to say that we don't find things like that INSIDE our duplex. The bugs here are kinda scary. They are really noisy and make me feel like I'm in a movie where the bugs all get together and start swarming toward you to attack and eat you alive. I'm sure I'll get used to it eventually since we'll be here for 2 years. Oh, and our fish made it here just fine! All 10 of them, plus our froggy! I'm so proud of them! :)

We are now almost all unpacked and just starting to decorate now. :) My favorite part! I like filling up the room to make it look like a home, so maybe once that happens I'll feel more at home. But today is also my BIRTHDAY!!! I am now the ripe old age of 22! I know. So old. :) But Alex is definitely treating me like a queen! He's letting me blog, do facebook, play the piano, and whatever I want while he watches Kyle. He also started out my day real well when he made me my favorite meal of the day! Sausage and cheese omelet, bacon, english muffins, watermelon (YUM!) and orange juice!! It was divine! What a wonderful man. And he tells me the spoiling has only begun! :) I love you Alex!!!

Pictures to come of our new home and our first days here in the state of MISSOURI!!!

3 comments:

Nicole S. said...

So glad that you guys got there safely and that so many people were willing to help you move in! What a fun new phase in your lives. Good luck!

Katie Abernethy said...

Glad to hear you made it okay! I've learned that everywhere except Utah has gross bugs. :( Excited to see pictures.

Heidi said...

Happy Birthday!

And good luck with all the bugs... Catch some fireflies for me!